A while ago, I posted a picture of these Slutty Brownies that I made on my Instagram. My inbox went nuts with requests with the recipe, so I promised everyone I’d put it on soon. Okay, so I know it’s been a whiiiiile, but the problem is that I needed to photograph them again properly to post the recipe. And to photograph them again, I need to make them again…
…And the problem that I have when I make them is that I eat SO MANY. Like, as soon as they’re out of the oven with a dollop of vanilla ice cream (Swedish Glace is the bomb), again a couple of hours later when they’ve cooled, the next morning, post-breakfast snack, lunchtime, tea time, etc etc. You get the picture. I’m a little piggy that craves them.
But finally, here they are! A little more about them: Slutty Brownies got their name because they’re easy, filthy and delicious – as you can see, they have a layer of chocolate chip cookie, then Oreo, then chocolate brownie. The first time I saw them was on The Londoner’s blog way back in 2011, and it was love at first sight (and bite). They were SO simple to make as it’s with Betty Crocker mix, so I’d whip them up when I was feeling like some serious indulgence, much to the joy of my University flat mates.
Since I turned vegan, I obviously don’t use the Betty Crocker mixes anymore. The process is longer, but holy moly is it worth it. It’s such a crowd pleaser to bring to a potluck or event as well, and everyone’s always super impressed (“Oreos are vegan? Really?” YES SIR). I even made them for a birthday once. I called them Birthday Brownies to keep things PG (there were kids around).
For the cookie layer, I use my own recipe (included below), and stop after I’ve mixed all the ingredients together and I let it sit in the fridge until I’ve made the brownie batter. For the brownie layer, you can use your favourite recipe if you have one, but I based mine on Chocolate Covered Katie’s brownie recipe.
Choc Chip Layer:
my chocolate chip cookie mix (recipe here, – stop after step 7 as you need the batter, not baked cookies!)
3 packs double stuffed oreos (you can use regular ones i guess, don’t be boring ok)
1 cup + 2 tbsp milk of choice (i use oat)
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp oil (i use rapeseed)
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp himalayan pink salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
loosely packed 2 tbsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Follow my chocolate chip cookie recipe instructions, and when you’ve made the batter, pop it in the fridge as you make the brownie layer!
- For the brownie batter, whisk together the milk, oil and vanilla in a medium/large bowl.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour the dry ingredients into the wet one (I prefer to do it this way as you’re less likely to get flour pockets). Gently fold until completely combined.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease it with vegan butter.
- Spread the cookie batter to fill the baking tray as the first layer (you can squish it with your hands or use a knife).
- Make rows of Oreos on top! Get as many as you can on there, line them tightly together! I usually use up around 2 1/2 packs – a few somehow go missing during this process.
- Pour your brownie batter on top, and spread it out with a knife so it’s covered completely and as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 30-35 mins!
I leave them to cool for a bit, but like to have a big slice with vanilla ice-cream when they’re still warm – this is the BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST. Wash down with a big mug of peppermint tea after to cleanse your slutty self.